Nerja is a small town situated at the Mediterranean coast of Spain. In 1959, archeologists discovered some remains of the Palaeolithic age from the Nerja Cave (Cueva de Nerja). This shows that the region was inhabited by prehistoric men around 30,000 years ago. Romans named this town as "Detunda". In 10th century, Moors invaded & called this region as "Narixa" - which means "Rich in Water". During their reign, the agricultural products & silk were exported to North Africa. It was the golden era of Nerja. In 1487, Catholic Monarchs defeated Moors & established their rule. In 1884, the whole area was destroyed by an earth quake. In 1885, the King Alphonso XII visited the devastated town. He was impressed by the scenic beauty & called this region " Balcon de Europa ".
Today Nerja (Nerr-ha) is the most popular touristic destination & is refered as the "Jewel of Costa del Sol". Nerja has 13 km coastline with sandy coves & beaches. The promenade "Paseo Balcon de Europa" lined with palm trees leads to "Balcon de Europa" a semicircle view point. Left side of the view point is the Calahonda Beach with the Sierra Almijara Mountain Range & to the right is the Caletilla Beach. The statue of Rey Alphonso is erected at the Balcon de Europa with two historic canons. Under the promenade there's a Panoramic Restaurant. On the left side of the promenade is the17th century baroque-mujedar style church El Salvador. Plaza Tutti-Fruiti is lined with tapas bars and restos to enjoy Andalucian Cuisine.