Mattancherry Palace is a quadrangular (nalukettu) two storey building constructed by Portuguese in 1555 A.D . It was a gift given by the Portuguese to the Raja of Kochi -Veera Kerala Varma. In 1663 during Dutch invasion, it was completely renovated & hence came to be called as Dutch Palace. A small temple is located in the inner court of the palace & is dedicated to Goddess Pazhayannur Bhagavathy - protective Goddess (Kuladaivam) of the Rajas of Kochi.In the palace premises there are two other temples(one dedicated to Lord Krishna & other other to Lord Shiva) & a temple pond. Coronation ceremonies of the Kochi Rajas are held in the central hall of this palace. The Royal bedroom (palliyara) with carved wooden ceiling is located at the left of the entrance. The black polished flooring of this palace is magnificent.This granite finish is got by combining eggwhite,coconut shell, charcoal & lime.
Today, this archeological museum houses vast collection of 17th centuray murals, costumes, weapons, palauquins, paintings & portraits of Raja's of Kochi. The walls of the Royal bedroom are covered with paintings depicting famous epics Ramayana & Mahabaratha . There is an entrance fee & photography is prohibited inside the museum.
Adjacent Temple & the Temple Pond